Thursday, July 15, 2010

Family time :)

Brother and Ray are coming over for dinner tonight!
from left: Widdle Bwudda (Zak), girlfriend (Ray), me, Jonathan

I have always been incredibly close with my family- they are my best friends. Growing up, it was just Zak and I, no other sibs. I cannot even begin to communicate to you how DIFFERENT we are. Nothing about us, aside from our genes, are the same.

I'm a morning person, Zak's a night prowler.
I'm a story teller, Zak is a man of few words.
I'm coordinationally challenged, Zak is athletic.
I like to sing, Zak can't carry a tune in a bucket.
I like to talk things out, Zak likes to wait things out.
I love books, Zak prides himself in never having finished one.
I fall off bicycles, Zak is natural on anything that has wheels.
...Truly, this list could go one forever.

When we were young, we were each other's greastest nemeses. We lived to get under the other one's skin. My childhood was an endless cycle of Zak doing something wrong and me ratting him out--we both usually ended up in trouble.

Nowadays, things are different. College and time and nostalgia do something to a brother and a sister. He looked out for me when I started dating, threatening to kill most guys that came anywhere near me. I started to recognize and appreciate his giving spirit and level-headed advice. When I needed help, he was always the first one there. When I was full of emotion, he would balance me out. Our rivalry morphed into a really spectacular and unique friendship.

So tonight,he and his long time girlfriend Ray (who I love with all my heart!) are coming over for dinner. I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time with them, we always do!

Thankful today for wonderful, loving family :)

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to have a great relationship with your brother!! Have fun with them tonight! <333

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm close to my siblings too. i think it's so important!

    i'm new to your blog and also your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete