Wednesday, June 16, 2010

When life gives you cabbage...

My loving husband and I made a trip to Aldi for groceries on Saturday. As I wandered off to peruse the frozen goodies, I asked him to grab a head of lettuce. Later that evening as we were enjoying a lovlely salad with toasted almonds and poppeyseed dressing, we realized that the lettuce was a little tough.
And then we realized. What we had originally believed to be a head of lettuce was in fact...





a head of cabbage.
quite a different thing altogether.






But no worries! Because I whipped up my (not so) famous...




Cabbage roll casserole, yummies! Ok,ok- so maybe it wasn't our favorite meal of all time, but it was ok. Especially if you come from a family where cabbage rolls are a way of life, it's a nice little way to sink back into your childhood without the hassle of actually making real cabbage rolls. (Which I will manage to do eventually.)
Needless to say, Jonathan was more than gracious and ate an entire serving (along with half a loaf of italian bread.) And even complimented my efforts afterward. He is a genuine sweetheart- how fortunate am I?
(seemingly unrelated) moral of the story: It is AMAZING how much easier relationships can be when both people make it their primary purpose to love the other one. I mean really LOVE the other one. When you don't make this a practice, little things like cabbage can become big ordeals. I know it sounds silly, but I've seen myself do it. I could have belittled my husband for picking up the wrong thing at the grocery store, and he could have given me a hard time about a fairly crappy meal. But neither of us went down that road. We laughed it off, excused and encouraged one another, and had a lovely evening.
All this dinner talk reminds me of a fun recipe I wanted to share with you guys. I made this last night and it was a hit!
Coca-Cola Chicken
4 chicken breasts
1/4 cup honey BBQ sauce ( i only had original so i added some honey and a little brown sugar)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 can of coke

Put everything in a medium size saucepan and bring it to a boil
Turn the heat down to medium, cover, and let it simmer for about 30 mins while occasionally mixing.
Take cover off and let simmer uncovered for about 10 mins.
I recommend letting it sit off the heat for about 5 mins before eating to let the sauce thicken.
and then...
Enjoy :)

I also recommend making everyone guess what's in the secret sauce. They'll NEVER come up with it.

2 comments:

  1. haha, I've totally accidentally grabbed cabbage before! Unfortunately I wasn't as creative as you. That's quite impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete