Monday, October 25, 2010

A time to keep silent and a time to speak

I am, and have always been considered, a fairly outspoken indivdual. Not afraid to state my case or my mind. Thankfully, suprisingly, (and painstakingly) law school has humbled me and made me virtually shy in some respects. I have a hard time fitting in to this newly developed "nook" sometimes, but I think it is for the best. I think before I speak more frequently. And Iam finding that I listen better. But for all the good it's done for me in some ways, it's take a toll on me in others. I don't stand up for things as passionately or trust my brain as surely as I used to for fear of being wrong or, worse yet, for fear of being verbally and mentally beaten down by someone who knows more that i do. In law school, a great variety of topics come up that merit heavy debate. However, as liberalism has a virtual monopoly on my school (and, as it seems, my generation), the debate rarely arises. While I often consider myself a donkey/elephant crossbread (a delephant?), I hold several conservative opinions upon which I do not waiver. If I could wind back the clock this semester I would kick myself a handful of times for not speaking up when I know I should have. Not in defense of a political party, but in defense of justice, of rightness, of the Gospel.
My prayer is that the Lord would give me the strength and wisdom to find the balance between:



Proverbs 17:27-28 - A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered. Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

and...

Hebrews 13:6- So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.



"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... a time to keep silence and a time to speak."


Ecc. 3:1-7

No comments:

Post a Comment